Friday, January 10, 2014

Spirtual insight by way of groceries

This week as I brought home 5 bags of groceries, I laid them on the floor of our apartment, preparing to put them away.  I was grateful that I did not have Logan with me at the store, he's in the climbing out of your cart, pulling items off the shelf and pushing every button possible on the debit card transaction phase.

Logan was glad to see me again and after a hug was immediately interested in what I had brought home.  I handed him the 3 pack of tissues and said it was special- just for him to play with....for now.  His contentment with the 'gift' I had given him was brief.  Lasting less then 20 seconds.  He was so interested in what ELSE mommy had brought home.  I gave him two water bottles to play with.  Water bottles have long been a favorite toy, they have the perfect size top to easily be a teething toy and they squeeze and make cool  noises, surely this will keep his attention longer.....nope.   On to the next thing. 

This continued at I put away the things I really didn't want him having- raw meat.   But soon it became obvious that as I made 'gifts' available to him to play with, he didn't want them anymore.  He only wanted the forbidden fruit, which ended up being the Soft Scrub with Bleach.  So rarely do I buy chemicals, we usually just use vinegar to disinfect everything, but the soap scum (and Logan trying to suck off the soap scum) in the bathtub was a problem which only Soft Scrub could solve. 

Away the Soft Scrub went into a closet and a temper tantrum followed.  SOOOO much upsetness over something that was dangerous to play with.  But it kind of got me thinking....how often do I want something from God, but as soon as I get it, my contentment is so low, that when I have it in my hands, I am immediately onto the next coveted item?  Logan's impulsive attention span had parallel to my joy and happiness from the gifts God gives me.  How often do I fall into the always wanting more category?  More tissues and water bottles God!!! NOW!   But really are tissues or water bottles what I need?  Asking more of God isn't necessarily bad, provision, blessing, healing, and learning to love people better are all good things.  But how often do I overlook the little things, which end up adding up to big things because I have my eyes so fixated on the Soft Scrub?  It is too easy to overlook what He has given me when I so desperately want Soft Scrub. 

The Soft Scrub of my life is probably being out of debt.  For years I have prayed in desperation for a miracle to be out of debt.   I think perhaps I should change my prayer to God help me to be prepared to be out of debt.    Because as Logan is too young to use Soft Scrub correctly, in 7 years, he would be old enough to use it without me having to hide it from him.  He wants it but isn't ready for it.  God help me to be ready for what I long for most and in the mean time.  Let me thoroughly enjoy and play with all the tissues and waterbottles in my life that you give me to play with.  Let me sing Your praises to others for the gifts You give me.  Help me to cherish the current blessings and not have my eyes so fixated on what I can't have right now.  And thank you for letting me see a lesson in something as simple as coming home from the grocery store.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment